Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Collectibles-Museums.com & Collectibles-Articles.com Web Site Reviews

Howdy Folks,
Today’s I am reviewing a couple of web sites for the web site review article, and these are the Collectibles-Museum.com web site and the Collectibles-Articles.com web site. Both are PR3 sites and ranked #1 by Google. Both sites were a joy to visit, and I have to say that I learned quite a bit just from looking around. About a week ago, I received a comment to the web site review blog articles, and in that comment was an invitation to visit and review these two sister web sites. Since I didn’t have any particular web site in mind to review for this week, I decided to take the gentleman up on his offer. Not really knowing what to expect to find on these sites, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, and a bit overwhelmed! The amount of relevant information available on these sites is phenomenal! Let’s take a look at the Collectibles Museum site first.

Now I have to admit that I was kind of expecting a museum type layout to this web site, where I would be able to visit photo gallery “exhibits” of various kinds of collectibles. And in a sense, that is what I found, as some of the links are actual online museums. But I also found a whole lot more. In fact, this web site is actually a collection of online directories relating to a huge variety of collectibles.

On this site you have access to “over 700 online collectibles museums.” Although the links provided are not necessarily “museums” in the traditional sense of the word, they do serve as a type of “exhibits” for this museum” site. The links take you to hundreds of other web sites, relating to a multitude of different collectibles, with innumerable photos and a huge amount of relevant information. The “museums” are listed in four separate categories: Entertainment (Old Radios, Movie Posters, Circus Logos and others), Devices (Antique Medical Items, Glasses, Lamps, Toasters, Unusual tools, & others), Books, & Ephemera, and include links to the Museum of Modern Art, the Phisick Antique Medical Collection and others. Believe me when I say, if you can think of a collectible, then it’s probably here somewhere. Not only are these “exhibit” sites fun to visit and browse through, they also offer an invaluable resource of pictures and information with which to research collectibles.

In addition to these links, visitors to Collectibles-Museums.com also have access to a huge collection of collector’s glossaries, price guides, and reference guides, as well as a dictionary of collector names, and collector blogs (bloggers can register to have their blogs included on this site). With regard to the price guide links, I found that some of the links I checked were not true price guides, at least not in the sense that they gave an average of current sales values from a variety of venues. Instead, what I found, were some sites that were selling collectibles and of course, gave prices for those items. A notable exception to this was the inclusion of the Auction Wally “What’s it Worth?” blog, which is an excellent resource in and of itself. It is important to note, however, that price guides (whether online or in book form) are really only good for use as an identification and research tool. We all know that an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and it is a mistake to expect to receive what a “price guide” says is the items value.

With regard to the “Reference Guides,” I found a collection of web sites containing information on and about collectibles. But then, isn’t that what a reference guide really is?

This is one site that you could conceivably spend an entire day or more just browsing the site and reading the various reference and price guides. As I mentioned at the beginning of this article, the amount of information to be had from this site is just phenomenal. The information is relevant and not simply a bunch of fluff and filler. All in all I have to say that this is a site that I can, and will, definitely use, and use often. I have already bookmarked it, and I’ve placed it on my list of recommended links found on the left side of this page.

The companion site to Collectibles-Museum is Collectibles-Articles.com, and like the museums site, Collectibles-Articles.com is a directory site which provides access to literally hundreds of articles relating primarily to collectibles. I found that the articles were categorized (although not as neatly as I would have liked, but still workable) by a multitude of subjects. Enough to surely satisfy any collector or collectible researchers needs. Among the subjects I checked out, I found that the articles were factual, informative and well written. I attribute the quality of the articles to the article screening process, which each article submission goes through prior to its inclusion on the site. Each article is “human reviewed” for “high quality content.” Authors can also submit their own articles for submission on the site.

As with its sister site, you could spend days just browsing the articles on this site, and never find yourself bored. It’s a great site that I intend to use often as a tool to help me as I research the collectibles and antiques I sell online. And also, as with the museums site, I have already bookmarked this great site, and added it to my list of recommend links.

Both of these sites are packed with information that is not only relevant, but helpful and enjoyable as well. I think you would do well to bookmark these two remarkable sites, and visit them often.

Well, that’s it for this weeks review of antique and collectible web sites. My sincere thanks to Mr. Jack Straw for letting me know about these two great sites. I hope that you found this article helpful, and I hope that you’ll tell others about the Whiskey Jack’s Treading Post blog, and visit often. Also, if you’re looking for some great deals on antiques, collectibles and other items of interest, be sure to check out my Bonanzle Booth and eBay Store by clicking on the links at the top left side of this page. Take care and have a great day, and I’ll see y’all next time.
Adios,
Whiskey Jack


Today’s Word of Wisdom: “When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or to a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.”

No comments: