Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Word of Encouragement

I was going to write an article today about collecting shaving mugs, but as I thought about it more and more, I began to realize that as much as I wanted to write that article, there was something more pressing on my mind. Perhaps it was the radio which was broadcasting the latest unemployment rates and yo-yo effect on the Dow, or perhaps it was my own situation. At any rate, I thought that what I needed, as well as many others out there, was a word of encouragement. So here goes.

For the past several months, the economy, not just of the our country, but globally as well, has been heading straight into a hole. It astounds me how many people have lost their jobs, and how many more are losing their jobs each day! Not to mention those who are losing their homes! And this is something I do happen to know a little about. After 22 years in the same job, I have suddenly found myself unemployed as well. And in case you're wondering, the answer is no. I did not receive a severance package or a severance check. I did get a nice plaque, however. No, I will be cashing in my retirement in order to have something to live on and support my wife and grandkids. Not that this is a bad thing in light of the fact that the private company that is managing not only my retirement but that of many other public employees, is going under at an alarming rate. So, the sooner I can get my retirement money out of there, the better! And this is something that is affecting millions of people everywhere!

The way I see it though, is those of us who find ourselves in this predicament have two choices. The first is the easiest, and that is to whine, cry, and bemoan what is happening to us. Let's face it, this is the easiest way to handle this kind of situation, but in the long run it doesn't really get us anywhere. The second method of handling this situation is to create our own economic stimulus package, and by that I mean get back to work as soon as possible. Yes, I know that jobs are becoming increasingly harder to find, but we can always do something. In times like these it is important to remember the words of Dan Reeves, former Head Coach of the Denver Broncos football team: "Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do!" And also, the words of Joseph P. Kennedy, "When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going!"

In other words, don't just sit around, get up and do something about your situation! There are jobs out there. Believe me. All you have to do is find them. You may have to take a cut in pay, but a cut in pay is better than no pay at all. And, in keeping with the spirit of this blog, there is always online sales. Whether eBay, or Bonanzle, or any of the other eCommerce sites. But it does take some work. Hard work, and also long hours, dedication and education. Not the kind of education that comes from a public school, but self education. Go to the library and check out some books on eCommerce. Read some of the many many blogs and forums regarding eCommerce. There is a wealth of information and help out there, and it is all free for the asking. All you have to do is get up and go get it.

Then take that knowledge and apply it to your situation. Sales may be slow, and may be nonexistant for a while. One thing you have to remember is that internet sales will not make you rich. I don't care what those late night infomercials claim, you are not going to make $5,000 a week selling info-products online! But you can make a living selling online. However, as I said, it does take a lot of work and a lot of time and a lot of dedication.

So don't despair. You can do it. You can make it. You can survive. Things will get better, they always do, so don't give up. Just get busy and hang in there! Okay!

Until next time, this is Ol' Whiskey Jack sayin'
Adios!

Today's Word of Wisdom: "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start now and make a brand new ending." ---Carl Bard

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Whisky Jack,
Loved this article and posted a link to it on one of my Twitter posts. Great advice. Thank you.
Debra Oakland
http://livingincourageonline.com/